Are you graduating high school and don't know what is next?
Are you graduating and really need a break from academics?
Are you in community college but spending your time away from class staring at a screen?
Have you been out of high school for a few years and still need to "find your way?"
FACT's GAP Program (Generating All Possibilities) may be the program for you!
GAP is a 4-year Fade-Out program where participants experience individualized schedules based on their strengths, interests and talents.
What are the Components of the Basic Program Covered under Regional Center?
Define and develop your personal, vocational, educational and self advocacy goals through ongoing workshops and the support of your peers and team leaders.
- Community College Experience - Experience college life on either Santa Monica College or West LA College campus's. Students will take one or two classes in an area of interest and learn the resources and activities of the campus. You will discover what types of supports you will need if you choose college as your path.
- Volunteering - Explore the world of volunteerism: Alongside AmeriCorps (Domestic Peace Corps) members you will train in American Red Cross Disaster Preparedness and bring this program to audiences young and old. "I really enjoyed educating the residents of City View Villa Assisted Living in Earthquake and Disaster Safety. They seemed to learn a lot from us" –K.M.
In GAP GIVES BACK you will help those less fortunate with clothing and food drives that help local homeless people. Other opportunities include working with volunteer organizations that assist animals and working with children at the Salvation Army.
- Business Traineeship - Learn about the world of business as you meet with members of the local chamber of commerce and the Southern California Core of Retired Executives to learn about their businesses. Conduct in depth informational interviews and have the opportunity to assist them with projects. Enhance your office skills as you earn certificates in Micro-soft and other products with Lynda.com and on the job training in the office. Participate in workshops on resume writing and interview skills.
- Micro Enterprise - Help to create and manage GAP's own businesses including products for Café Press and learn the art of Fundraising as you will plan and implement Silent art Auctions, bake sales, rummage sales etc.
- Explore your talents in a variety of areas under the mentorship of professionals in these fields.
- Music – Work with our music therapist to explore your talents in music and song writing and performing. "I get to express my creativity and I have noticed that it helps my puppet show performances. I get a lot out of this class, learn the ins and outs of sound editing" –Z.A.
- Art – Work with our Master of Fine Arts teacher, to develop your talents and find ways to turn these into vocational pursuits. "I love being able to explore different art mediums and produce different styles of art for our Art Show Auction" –K.M.
- Film Editing – Learn how to edit using Final Cut Pro and be part of a team that produces and edits media pieces. "I've learned a lot about all that it takes to produce a great film. There is a lot more than meets the eye as I have discovered" –M.E.
- Anime – Learn about the world of Japanese culture and the possibilities for careers in the field of translation. "Not only do I feel more equipped to speak to someone in Japanese I also discovered that I am a natural translator. I pick up on body language that most people miss" –E.C.
- Cooking – Work with a professional chef to develop specific skills for employment or just pleasure. "In Cooking class I have gained recipe planning and preparation skills. I love creating new dishes to share with my family and friends" –D.A.
- Journalism – Learn the ins and outs of putting a paper together including software applications. "I never knew how much work it takes to be an editor. I have a new Appreciation for time management" –B.F.
- Child Care – Work with group therapists in learning how to plan and execute programs for pre-school and elementary aged children. "I have been able to have experiences working with children that I didn't have in high school. Working with children while in GAP has made me realize I want to continue pursuing my Early Childhood Education degree." –C.A.
- Learn skills of event management as you plan and execute events for GAP, and the families of FACT, and the Westwood Village Synagogue.
- And of course a chance to "hang out" with friends at lunch and other free time.
For those wanting to move into a more intense college experience, or wanting to specialize in any of the above areas, we offer other related services including:
- Supported Living Services: Fact's Supported Living Services provides adults with disabilities opportunities to live work and have leisure activities in their local communities with support as needed. Consumers receiving Supported Living Services develop strong skill sets to increase their quality of life leading to greater independence.
Vendor Code PW5978
- Micro Enterprise and Customized Employment: This is a consumer driven service that provides a flexible blend of strategies and supports designed to increase employment options for job seekers with complex needs.
Vendor Code PW5871
The following is the template that will be used to build each person's schedule:
|9:00-10:00||Arrive and meet at designated community site, meet with GAP program staff and go over the day's and/or week's schedule|
|10:00-11:00||Participate in agreed upon activities (i.e. business skills workshop)|
|11:00-11:15||Break (where applicable to class or work site)|
|11:15-12:00||Participate in agreed upon activities (i.e. goals development)|
|1:00-2:15||Participate in agreed upon activities (i.e. volunteering)|
|2:15-2:30||Break (where applicable to class or work site)|
|2:30-4:30||Participate in agreed upon activities (i.e. Micro-Enterprise)|
Now accepting applications for Spring 2013. Please click here to download GAP forms.
For further information or to arrange a visit please contact:
Jillian Van Leuven